One of the many variations!
½ lb. ham (or sausage, bacon, etc.)
8 slices homemade type white bread, crusts removed and cut in to ½” cubes
¾ lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated (cheddar, or swiss, your choice)
4 large eggs beaten lightly
1 ½ c. milk
2 t. Dijon style mustard
pinch of cayenne
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
3T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
I also add either fresh mushrooms, canned artichoke hearts, your choice, but, about 1 c.
- Prepare the breakfast meat.
- Butter a one quart soufflé dish. Arrange 1/3 of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish, and sprinkle them with 1/3 of the cheese. Top the cheese with the meat and veggie, then the remaining half of the bread, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the bread. Top the strata with the remaining bread and press the layers together.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, Worcestershire and cayenne together. Pour the mixture over the strata and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Drizzle the top with the melted butter and chill, covered, overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and let stand at room temp. Put the dish in a baking pan and add enough hot water in the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the dish (Bain Marie).
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 to 1 and1/4 hrs or until golden brown and set.
From Mini Brett