from Maxine Forward
4 large Sweet Peppers
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
2 tbs. Olive Oil
1 tbs. Rice Wine Vinegar
3 tbs. Water
¾ tsp. Sugar
¼ tsp. Salt
- Select at least three contrasting colors of peppers. Coat whole peppers with non-stick spray or olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake them for 20 to 30 minutes in a 400° oven, turning occasionally, until limp and blistered. Alternatively, you can grill them until blistered or hold them over a flame on a gas stove. Place peppers in a plastic bag and let sweat for 15 minutes or so. Discard stems and remove skins. Open each pepper and remove seeds and ribs.
- While the peppers roast, mash the garlic in a small bowl with enough oil to moisten. Add the remaining oil to the garlic and let sit.
- Slice roasted peppers into quarters lengthwise, or if preferred, strips. Spread them out in an attractive arrangement in a large, shallow bowl. The bowl must be large enough to hold a quarter cup or so of liquid in addition to the peppers.
- Bring the vinegar and water to a boil in a small pan. Add in the sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved. Pour the vinegar mixture over the prepared peppers.
- Strain the garlic oil over the peppers. Discard the garlic dregs. Serve at room temperature with crusty bread.