Nance was at Churchill’s recently and saw a beautiful indoor display of paperwhites planted in a birdbath. How beautiful that would be in the house for the winter. Churchill’s provided a leaflet with instructions on how to force paperwhites at home. Here is what you do:
- Choose a container at least 4 inches deep.
- Fill container with rocks 2 inches deep.
- Place bulbs in odd numbers on rocks and backfill with more rocks. Leave a little space between bulbs.
- Fill with rocks so tops of bulbs are just exposed.
- Add water to below the base of the bulbs, but no higher. (If bulb bases sit in water, they will rot.)
- Place in a bright sunny location.
- Check bulbs frequently to make sure the water level is at the base of the bulbs and rocks in the container.