2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tall cans evaporated milk (this size is usually labeled as 14 ounces, liquid measurement of 13 ounces)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon brandy
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (or substitute caramelized white sugar)
Make the day before needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs with rotary beater till yolks & whites are well blended. Add granulated sugar and salt and mix well. Beat in the 2 cans of undiluted evaporated milk and add the vanilla.
- Sift the brown sugar into the bottom of a loaf pan, pour the custard gently into the pan over it.
- Place in a shallow baking pan containing hot, but not boiling, water. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Do not cover.
- Refrigerate overnight. Before serving, run a knife around the edge of the pan & turn out onto a small platter.
Note: This particular custard gets a little crust on top when baked uncovered. To my mind this is all to the good, since you will be turning it over and this makes a firmer base.