1½ lbs. (shelled) mixed Shellfish & firm White Fish (Lobster, Shrimp, Cod, Scallops, Crabmeat, etc.; Do NOT use Clams, Mussels or Oysters)
6 frozen Puff Pastry Shells
2 tbs. Butter
2 tbs. Flour
2 cups Light Cream
4 slightly beaten Egg Yolks
2 tbs. Dry Sherry
2 tbs. Brandy
Salt, to taste
fresh ground Pepper, to taste
- Cook the seafood appropriately. Cut into bite size pieces and keep warm.
- Prepare the frozen puff pastry shells per package instructions. Timing is important. You want the pastry shells to come out of the oven about the same time the sauce is ready to serve.
- Newburg sauce must be made just before serving. It suffers if kept waiting. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the cream and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Incorporate the egg yolks, liqueurs and seasonings. Add the cooked fish and heat through.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup per person. To serve, place a hot pastry shell on each plate and pour the Seafood Newburg in and around them. Top with the pastry cap. Serve immediately.
Note: This makes an elegant appetizer if you use mini puff pastries.